The Service Instance pages allows users to monitor the performance of an individual service instance. Data is retrieved in real time by polling the Sidecar's metrics endpoint (default to "/metrics"). Since requests are made directly to the service's proxy at runtime, data is not saved after leaving the app (closing the web browser tab or window).
NOTE: these metrics begin sampling from the Sidecar when the panels are viewed, nd will continue to sample so long as the window remains open.
The Service Summary provides a high level view of a services vital statistics. This includes core vitals such as:
- Average (50%) Response Time
- Error percent across all requests
- CPU and Memory Utilization
- Chart of requests over time
The Routes View is a table depicting per-route metrics for all known routes of the service instance. Note that this table only shows routes that have been requested. This is to be expected because the proxy only collects request-level telemetry. Thus a route that hasn't been requested by a user or service will not show. Each route can be clicked to open a drawer containing a line chart depicting requests over time for that route.
The Runtime View depicts line charts showing changes to the memory heap and the number of Go routines over time. Go routines are displayed because the proxy is written in Golang. Therefore it's important to show these metrics as the number of Go routines created in the proxy could be used to analyze performance of the service holistically.
The Explorer is a tool that allows exploration of timeseries data for all metrics collected for service. This includes Envoy based metrics as well as custom route metrics for the service.
- Search for timeseries metrics matching a string by entering a string in the search field. Results will filter in the selection area below the search field.
- Select a timeseries metric to display as a line chart.
- Pan and zoom the timeseries data in the line chart by clicking and dragging across a range of time to zoom in and double clicking on the chart to zoom out.
- Copy the URL and share with other users with the same access privileges. The current selections will open on the other user's screen facilitating discussion of a particular metric.